|Episode name pun on: Cover-up,another word for blanket.|
|Airdate:||May 26, 2000|
|Director:|| Genndy Tartakovsky|
|Writer(s):||Amy Keating Rogers and John McIntrye|
Cover Up is the 22nd episode of season 2.
When the Mayor calls the girls, Blossom & Bubbles looks for their sister but there wasn't any time left and Buttercup arrives late. The next time the Mayor calls them, they do not find Buttercup once again, until they discover her cuddling with a green blanket in the closet, chanting, "I am a good fighter" over and over again. Her sisters are hysterical, and suddenly the blanket is lost. When Buttercup discovers her blanket is missing, she trashes the entire house to look for it, but with no success and ends up throwing a tantrum. Another monster appears, and Buttercup does not have the confidence to defeat it, until Blossom shows up with her blanket. Later that evening at home, Buttercup discovers that it wasn't really her blanket, just a fake one that Blossom found. At that, Buttercup desperately searches the house for her blanket, but then breaks down. Then the Professor turns up with the blanket. Buttercup at first hugs it tightly, but when her sisters glare at her, she changes her tune and lets the Professor keep the blanket. Like Buttercup earlier, the Professor repeatedly chants, "I am a good scientist" while rubbing the blanket on his face. Soon, after the Narrator says the usual tagline, he repeatedly (like Buttercup and the Professor) chants, "I am a good narrator."
- When Buttercup goes missing for the second time, Blossom and Bubbles leave the house without her.
- However, in the stock footage used to depict them flying out the window, the distinctive color trails of all three girls can be clearly seen, and a quick freeze-frame reveals Buttercup alongside them.
- In the scene where Blossom encourages Buttercup to fight the monster without Blankie, there's a perspective error where Blossom grabs Buttercup's arm, and yet because of her distance and the fact that her arm didn't stretched out, it made it seem like she suddenly became tiny compare to Buttercup.
- When Buttercup throws a tantrum inside the open microwave oven losing her blanket, there are no tears there. In the next shot when her sisters arrive and suggest she stop relying on her blanket, a flood of tears appear inside the microwave.
- A stuffed animal of Pikachu makes an appearance (cameo).
- This is the first episode since A Very Special Blossom they have their old font . Because the directors credits in the previous episodes only had that font.
- This is Genndy Tartakovsky's last season 2 directing episode.
- This is Chris Reccardi's first episode in storyboarding.
- This is the first time in the series where Buttercup cries.
- Buttercup was the only Powerpuff Girl that beats up bad guys, since Blossom and Bubbles did nothing and let her do all the work.
- It is unknown why neither Blossom nor Bubbles helped Buttercup when she was getting beat up by the little monster.
- In this episode, viewers discover a softer side of Buttercup.
- The scene where Blossom and Bubbles find out about Buttercup's blanket is shown in "The City of Clipsville".
- This, along with its sister episode Twisted Sister, shows a character crying. With the former being the narrator, while in this episode's case, Buttercup.
- The scene where Buttercup is weakened and says "No!" became a popular Internet meme.
- This is one of the few episodes where Blossom is seen reading Chinese.
- Running gag: Someone saying that he is good in a certain profession over and over again while cuddling Buttercup's blanket (except the Narrator since he is not physically seen but still says the line, I am a good narrator).
- In 2000, Don Shank won a Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Achievement in Animation for this episode, along with Twisted Sister.
- There is a rare live action TV series, also named Cover Up, whose theme song, Holding Out for a Hero, is sung by E.G. Daily, who also voiced Buttercup.
- This episode was also adapted into a 2002 book of the same name by Scholastic.
- ↑ http://www.sofontes.com.br/en/Haettenschweiler/download/12400 Haettenschweiler