|Mr. Mojo's Rising|
|Episode name pun on: "Mr. Mojo Risin"|
|Airdate:||January 6, 1999|
|Director:||Genndy Tartakovsky and Craig McCracken|
"Paste Makes Waste"
Mojo Jojo kidnaps the professor and reveals to them that before the girls were born, he was an ordinary monkey who was the Professor's pet. According to Mojo, he was well-loved by the Professor until the girls were born. And the Chemical X that created the girls is also what gave him his super intelligence. According to Mojo, he became a supervillain after feeling neglected and unwanted. Professor admits that he did have a pet monkey named Jojo, but he does not remember much before the girls were born. In an attempt to make amends, Professor gives Mojo the girls' powers. Upon receiving them, he quickly defeats the girls and plans to use his new powers to rule the world. The professor then remembers everything: Contrary to his claim, Mojo was a terrible lab assistant to the Professor who only destroyed everything he touched. The Professor eventually got so fed up that he kicked him out after the girls were born. He then remembers that while he was making the concoction, Jojo pushed the Professor, causing him to hit Chemical X. This means that Mojo was the one who created the Powerpuff Girls. Mojo is shocked at the realization that he created what he despises. The Professor has Mojo's powers removed and he and the girls leave him repeating: It was me.
- This is one of the few episodes where Mojo Jojo saves the day.
- It is also one of the few episodes where Mojo Jojo gets to defeat the Powerpuff Girls and actually wins. Despite this, the girls survive.
- In this episode, Mojo finally wins a battle against the Powerpuff Girls.
- While this episode explains how the girls were born, The Powerpuff Girls Movie explains it in even further detail.
- In this episode, it's revealed that Mojo Jojo is the one partially repsonsible for the Professor's accidental creation the Powerpuff Girls, as Professor Utonium reveals in a flashback.
- Running gag: Mojo Jojo confessing that he was the one who created the Powerpuff Girls, by saying it was me up until the end of the episode
- This episode's name is a reference to the song L.A. Woman by the Doors where in the middle of the song, Morrison starts to sing "Mr. Mojo Risin'" (which is actually an anagram of Jim Morrison's name).
- After gaining super powers, Mojo has Powerpuff eyes. But when the girls start to fight him, Mojo's eyes are back to normal
- There was a Book version with the same plot, under a similar name: "Mojo Jojo's Rising".
- At the end of this episode during the variant of the animated episodce outro, the Narrator recaps the events of this episode very quickly before he says "So, once again, the day is saved, thanks to the Powerpuff Girls. But, thanks ORIGINALLY to Mojo Jojo." Also, in the usual episode outro sequence, Mojo Jojo is seen replacing the girls in the episode outro for this episode, saying "It was me!" repeatedly.
- Buttercup saying the phrase “What’chu talkin’ about Mojo?” is a reference to the Gary Coleman phrase “What’chu talkin’ ‘bout Willis?” from the sitcom Diff’rent Strokes.
- When the Powerpuff Girls were talking at the end of the episode, Mojo's mouth was moving but his voice was not heard.
- Bubbles and Blossom's dress colors were switched when Mojo Jojo defeated them.