|The City of Frownsville|
|Episode name pun on: The City of Townsville|
|Airdate:||July 23, 2004|
"West in Pieces"
A carnival has arrived in Townsville, and everyone is happy until the tearful Lou Gubrious uses his machine to switch everyone's happiness with his depression and misery. Blossom asks "What's goin' on, Professor!" Utonium immediately know what is the exact cause of everyone's misery. The talking dog is puzzled at how he knows that. Buttercup provides the explanation "he is the Professor! He knows everything!". Blossom cries. "I don't like it!" Causing the entire town to literally flood with the tears of the citizens and even a nearby monster. But in the end the tables are turned on Gubrious when he slips on a banana peel, causing everyone to laugh at his misfortune.
- It's revealed in this episode that Bubbles has won the title of happiest citizen of Townsville six years running. It's likely a reference to this being in the series' sixth season.
- This is one of three episodes to have a pun on "the city of Townsville," the other two being The City of Clipsville and The City of Nutsville, this one and The City of Nutsville having something bad happening to the entire city (an unaired clip of Professor Utonium accidentally turning the whole Townsville population into babies, though not himself, was shown in The City of Clipsville, though).
- This is an episode where a food or any other inanimate object is additionally credited for saving the day (a banana straight), others including "Octi Gone" (a contaminated banana cream pie).
- A dove crying with Bubbles holding a banana peel is a reference to a song by Prince "When Doves Cry".
- Professor Utonium says "Crying is easy, comedy is hard" which is a reference to Edmund Kean's quote "Dying is easy, comedy is hard".
- This episode was dedicated to the people who lost their lives in the September 11, 2001 attacks.