|Episode name pun on: The phrase "tough love".|
|Airdate:||December 23, 1998|
|Director:||Genndy Tartakovsky and Craig McCracken|
Tough Love is the sixth episode of Season 1.
When HIM gets jealous of The Powerpuff Girls' constant attention, he invents an evil gas that spreads around Townsville and causes the citizens to turn against the Girls. The Powerpuff Girls eventually realize they have to fight their friends and loved ones to revert them back to their normal selves.
- The Narrator calls Townsville "The City of Brotherly Love, or should I say Sisterly Love". This is a reference to the nickname of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. This might be due to the fact that Philadelphia has its reputation of being known as "The City of Brotherly Love".
- This was the last episode to air in 1998.
- [Ms. Keane and the students of Pokey Oaks Kindergarten are throwing things at the girls]
- Blossom: I've heard of class struggles, but this is ridiculous.
- [Buttercup has hit the mob that's been hurting her sisters as Blossom and Bubbles fall to the ground]
- Buttercup: Come on, you guys. Get up and fight.
- Blossom: (getting up) Buttercup, what are you doing? (Bubbles gets up) We can't hurt the ones we love.
- Buttercup: Those people aren't our loved ones. Our loved ones would never want to hurt us.
- Blossom and Bubbles: (seeing her point) Hey, yeah.
- Buttercup: (pointing to "HIM") They're just pawns in his evil scheme.
- HIM: (giggling) Well, you know.
- Buttercup: Which means...
- Girls: Let's get 'em!
- HIM: Uh-oh.
- [The girls have just defeated their loved ones and are now facing "HIM"]
- Blossom: Don't ever make us have to do that again.
- Buttercup: Or it will be your last.
- [Pan across the unconscious townspeople as "HIM" comes into view]
- HIM: Tsk, tsk, tsk. You girls underestimate me. I never give repeat performances, but I assure you...I'll be ba-a-ck! (laughs evilly and disappears into the sky)